This event will bring together ocean scientists from across the globe to discuss the important role women have served in shaping oceanography. As part of the OceanObs’19 conference week, this event will include a discussion and reception as we pay tribute to great women scientists and inspire the future generations for a more inclusive, robust, and forward-leaning discipline.
- Wendy Schmidt, Schmidt Ocean Institute, USA
- Barb Kirkpatrick, Gulf of Mexico Coastal Ocean Observing System of the Integrated Ocean Observation System, USA
- Nelly Florida, BMKG Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysical Agency, Indonesia
- Juliet Hermes, South African Environmental Observation Network, South Africa
- Rosie Alegado, University of Hawaii, USA – panel host
In addition to prominent women their vibrant stories of mentorship and leadership, the event will invite ambassadors to act as the reception hosts.
The event and the reception will take place on Wednesday 18 September from 18.00 to 20.30.
“Breaking Waves, Breaking Barriers” Event Planning Committee:
- Carlie Wiener, Schmidt Ocean Institute
- Allison Miller, Schmidt Ocean Institute
- Emily Smith, NOAA Ocean Observations and Monitoring Division
- Dina Eparkhina, European Global Ocean Observing System
- Melissa Iwamoto, Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System
- Kruti Desai, Consortium for Ocean Leadership
- Lin Feng, First Institute of Oceanography
Further information available on the OceanObs’19 website
Hilton Hawaiian Village